View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Bry@n

Well, not good news on the print group angle:
Berger - Cleveland - 350 Subjects -- PRINT GROUP 3
McQuillan - Philadelphia - 350 Subjects (there are two, ball in hand and batting)
Jordan/Portrait - Brooklyn - 150 Subjects -- PRINT GROUP 1
Collins - Philadelphia - 350 Subjects -- PRINT GROUP 1
So these wouldn't have been issued consecutively.

Maybe they fell behind his desk or something similar and he found them a few years later after he had already worn out the other stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter View Post
Bryan, the four cards with the green Saturday Evening Post stamp are

Berger - Cleveland - 350 Subjects
McQuillan - Philadelphia - 350 Subjects
Jordan/Portrait - Brooklyn - 150 Subjects
Collins - Philadelphia - 350 Subjects

In terms of his address ... Although he lived his whole life in the Gainesville area, he lived above the family store from birth until sometime just before 1920. His enlistment card from the Army, signed in 1919, lists his address as the 500 West Main, Gainesville address. The 1920 Census records list an address in Achola, Florida, which is the name of the county Gainesville is in, but also a city in the county. He even served his time in WWI at a base in Gainesville.

Chris, in terms of the darkness of the stamp, no clue. I do own seven cards that I know went from Howe to a dealer to a collector then to me. Only three sets of hands before mine. Cards from 150 and 350 Subject series. And the darkness of the stamp on those seven varies quite a bit. I know of another example, which I have photos of, of a Cobb that went from Howe to dealer to current owner, and it has one of the strongest stamps on any card I've seen. Maybe some nights he just didn't ink his stamp as well as other nights?

Also hoping, Chris, that those five in your shot are the ones you found for me at the National about seven or eight years ago? Or do I need to be saving up quite a bit and making a pitch to you?

Again, thanks to everyone on the board for the encouragement and help in rebuilding Howe's collection.