View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It definitely is. Being a minor league player isn’t like having your job. When the industry shuts down they’re still expected to maintain a certain physical condition, train and follow all team rules in the meantime (rules that may limit your employment opportunities depending on what activities your contract allows). However the team didn’t want to offer any salary for that commitment or resources. The team can’t offer team facilities and they didn’t offer to pay for private instruction either. They expect you to do all the things you would have for no pay and at your own expense AND to find a way to make a living outside of baseball on top of it.

When it comes to the major league players, the owners wanted to pay a 54 game salary regardless of how many games were played. If the season was 100 games, they wanted to pay for 54. The players are only now getting paid a prorated salary for every game they do play because of the Union. Not because the owners wanted to pay people to work.

Please offer any counterpoint of your choosing that demonstrates the players are asking for things you wouldn’t ask for at your own job.
The part that is a factual claim is completely false. They are not and didn't try too refuse to pay players who are working. Some teams are not paying players that are not working. This is how it works in every industry. If I am an hourly employee, I still have to remember how to do my job and remain in physical condition good enough to do that job. The company does not pay you for the time spent exercising if your job has physical demands. Like 25% of this country was recently furloughed from their jobs too, they did not get paid, because they were not working. Your statement is factually wrong.

They are asking for things I wouldn't. Heck, I took a mandatory paycut happily a couple months ago, and then I issued myself a bigger paycut than I had to take so we could slightly improve our odds of survival as a company, and give a little more to my employees that make less and need it more immediately than I do. Revenues are down everywhere, not just for MLB that can't sell tickets anymore and missed almost 2/3 of the season completely. Most of us, who make a hell of a lot less, are in a similar boat, or much worse. The difference is they still have a mansion at the end of the day, and I'm not griping about my salary for the year.

Again, I'm not praising the owners or saying they are right. I said I find the constant griping from players to the media about how they don't make enough millions and are oppressed by the owners to be obnoxious. The owners are obnoxious too, but they aren't being rolled out as victims and they aren't the ones we go to the games to watch. I also said the owners did not attempt not to pay players who are working. That is not an opinion, that part is 100% true. I guess I should not be surprised a fact is controversial because one doesn't like it.

You are making claims that are 100% factually wrong, and then arguing against a perspective I did not express and do not hold rather than the one I stated. Makes this rather stupid and pointless.