View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 03:44 PM
Jason B.

Default Good points all around.

Good stuff here. I think we're all in agreement that this run-up in prices is artificial, and being driven by forces that aren't well-meaning or sustainable. It's also really clear that vintage basketball was severely undervalued until recently, given considerations of collectability and relatively low volumes out there. I still don't believe that justifies the aggressive rise lately.

I'm certainly going to sell off pieces I don't want to hold permanently. One of the Magic/Bird cards will go, I'm sure, and I have a spare Kareem RC with PSA in the 5-6 range due to be done grading in the next few weeks which may go if prices hold strong. In fact they have probably 120+ raw 1960's/70's basketball cards of mine now in various stages of (endless) grading.

Personally, I caught the vintage basketball bug late last year and have been adding since. Rounded out the Jordan Star run as well, which I've really enjoyed. Not to sound foolish, but for the cards I decide to hold, I really am ok with them losing significant value in future. I won't kick myself for not selling at the peak. If there were a burning need to raise funds for a higher priority, I'd move them. But basketball has been enjoyable in itself. I'd also feel differently if I were in deep in terms of investment in them.

And like you said, Adam, some of the cards have emotional attachment as well. Several came from someone who has become a good collecting friend, and it'd be tough to let them go.

But for anyone's particular situation, if selling cardboard would make a fundamental difference in your own financial independence, I'd hope anyone would do it.
|
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)