View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 07:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcollector View Post
Awesome information, thank you . I missed out on a 52 Topps Feller that was autographed with the inscription WWII Vet - Navy. I’m kicking myself for it . From my understanding he was the only Chief Petty Officer as well. Definitely on the lookout for a Feller.
Don't know about him being the only CPO, but definitely a cool fact if true. And as mentioned by others, Warren Spahn and Cecil Travis both deserve high praise and respect as well.

Regarding more factoids about Williams, I believe he was using the fact he was supporting his mother as the basis for appealing his draft status and deferring his service, and specifically why I mentioned Feller's father was terminally ill, yet he made the exact opposite decision that Williams did. And William's draft board status and actions did not go unnoticed. He had very negative public backlash at the time for his actions, and IIRC, he was dropped by Quaker Oats who had been sponsoring him up till that time as a result. And in retaliation, Williams supposedly never purchased/consumed any Quaker Oats products the rest of his life.

Also, although Williams batted .406 in 1941, he still lost the MVP that year to DiMaggio and his 56 game hitting streak. Williams came back and put up his first Triple Crown season in 1942, but again lost the MVP award, this time to Joe Gordon. There was much speculation, including such by Williams himself, that that year's MVP was stolen from him due to the negative reaction to his draft board antics.

Last edited by BobC; 03-17-2023 at 07:38 PM.