View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Rich White

I have been collecting vintage Baseball related magazine advertising and Old magazines with baseball covers for about 25+years now. The stuff just intrigued me when I first found those vintage ads in old Life/Look/Colliers/Post magazines in an old book store in Oakland that was closing after 50 years of doing business.

That got me "hooked" where else can you find a 1935 full page Babe Ruth ad pushing Barbasol shaving creme or Joe DiMaggio pushing Camel cigarettes, or Ty Cobb or Christy Mathewson pushing Tuxedo Tobacco from 1915.

Back in the mid 70's I collected with my sons and we collected hard until about 1988 when the card market went crazy. Today I do enjoy collecting game used cards and mainly focus on Yankee cards picking up Aaron Judge when I get a chance.

I remember collecting back in grammar school when you could pick up 5 packs for a quarter, take them to school and trade during recess. Built up quite a collection into the early 60's..........then GIRLS took top spot........then the draft and Vietnam. When I came home I asked what happened to my boxes of cards in my closet??? " IBurned them"...........Oh OK what ever? Yikes I really could have cashed in with those boxes. I have saved all of the cards that me and my Boys collected back when and they will have the opportunity to enjoy them again one day. I wish my Aunt would have done that!!