View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 01:29 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

In early November 1986 I went to see Slayer do two nights at the Stone in San Francisco, and hooked up with a waitress from the club after the show. We spent the next next couple weeks together (me and the hot redheaded waitress, not Slayer), and I went to the club just about every night. One of the shows I went to was Stanley Clark. I was watching the opening act (Jeffo) and some little drunk homeless looking guy came up to me and starting giving me shit because I was wearing shorts. "It's too cold outside to be wearing shorts" he said slurred at me. "That's why I'm inside" I said. I pondered that for a view moments then shrugged and said "Good point" and stumbled away.

Carlos Santana was in the house that night and the buzz was that he would be joining Stanley on stage, but near the end of his set, when Stanley said something to the effect of "Ladies and gentleman, I would like to introduce you all to a friend of mine..." I didn't join in the crowd's excitement of Stanley playing Oye Como Va or something similar, because I could see Carlos standing in the lighting booth. Instead, "... please welcome, Mr. Jaco Pastorius" and that little drunk homeless guy came out and wailed on his bass in a way that I had never seen before, and I toured with Talas (Billy Sheehan) so I had seen some pretty darn good bass playing.

In Jaco's defense, it can get pretty cold in SF that time of year.
Jaco Pastorius was a troubled genius. A sad death. He played around Boston a few times in the late 70's, but I never got the chance to see him.

In all of the shows I have attended only once was there a special guest. The last night of Elton John's tour, probably 1989 at Madison Square Garden. I was only there because my father-in-law at the time was president of MSG so my ex-wife and I drove down quite a few times for sports and concerts - Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert and always got to park inside the building next to the limos. For the last song 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' he brought out Billy Joel, Debbie Gibson and Wet, Wet, Wet who I believe were the opening act.

One other time we were teased at a show. Peter Gabriel Halloween Night 1979 at the Paradise in Boston. Yes, I saw him in a 550 seat club. There was speculation that Brian Eno was in town. He kept teasing and said I want to bring out a friend, which he did - a teddy bear!! It did not matter to me. I still got to see him in a tiny club.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”