View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 11:15 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I think we all have quiet respect for that star player of any generation who is able to escape the spotlight, find a quiet life for themselves that they desire, and live content. And then we all talk about how hard it is to obtain their auto.
I'm sorry to hear about Lombardi's problems, Tim, but I bet the vast majority of ex-big leaguers were both thrilled to pick up any endorsements or other financial advantages they could derive from their ball-playing exploits and also happy to receive whatever recognition and adulation those brought them post-career. Without knowing anything about his life, I'd suspect he had deeper problems that contributed to his sad demise. And for every ex-player trying desperately to escape the inconveniences and annoyances of fame, I'd guess there were just as many or more who took to it like Babe Ruth, who stood for hours signing autographs and talking to fans until the last one went home. I think a poll of ex-players would show overwhelming gratitude for the opportunities of all kinds baseball created for them, and regard the downsides as a small price to pay.