View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Thanks for the info Steve. Any idea when hobby publications first wrote about the printing error? I heard that Baseball Card Magazine had an article about the no black ink variation in 82/83?

Were some of these other print defects common in the set? I have two Babcock's that have red dots/smearing on them. Curious if others are the same or different. The Corbett is the only one I have in the set that doesn’t complete the brown line on the border.
I haven't really looked at loads of 82s. I bought all three sets that year instead of trying to make them up myself.

But, as a close second, I have looked at loads of 1981 Topps. I bought something like 20,000 of them at a store closing auction.
Years later I went through them looking for differences. *
Some were really prone to ink spatter, and way more than half had some sort of consistent difference, usually trivial spots etc that had been fixed.
I doubt Topps did things much differently in 82.
I made a list, I still need to find it and get it typed up so it's more understandable.

*I was, and am still considering doing a catalog that lists all that stuff, possibly with images if digital, or loose-leaf if it's printed, so people can just get the part of the catalog they really want. Since I had so many, 81T was going to be the test for the format etc.