View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 07:05 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Wally View Post
Would it be that hard to artificially boost the price for the more common grades of this card? You have this 10, get a few 'identity protected' bidders to have this high profile Ebay bidding war that ends with a crazy high price. The 'winner' gets their money back (or some of it and they keep the card) thru a different non-Ebay transaction. Then the organizer of the frenzy begins selling their 'stash' of grade 7-9 Rickey's, or even ungraded ones, at a significantly higher price citing this 100K plus sale of the 10.

Sorry if I am a cynic. If I heard someone on this site admit to placing one of those bids above 50K maybe I wouldn't think that way.
I would wager this has been happening since last summer. A 10 sets a record breaking price. Domino effect results in people raising prices on lower grade cards, people have FOMO resulting in higher prices, which then bleeds into unopened and spurs increases in unopened product as people hope to get high grade cards. Happening right now with 1991 Upper Deck. Michael Jordan spiked in price and now unopened has gone up 2x-3x in two weeks. Complete market manipulation and frenzy.

Last edited by jimjim; 02-16-2021 at 07:06 PM.