View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
So you didn't have WAY WAY more energy and try to talk every ones ear off when you first started taking them.

Something way more accurate would be going to the batting cages after a night with little sleep and a hard days work when you are very tired. See how you do hitting then. Then take a couple pills wait a half hour and see how you hit after he pills give you way more energy and help you focus.
That was previously with the "interesting" combination of Ritalin plus my then normal 8 cups of coffee. Something my first doc didn't warn me about.
Work said I got several days worth of work done but was annoying as I wouldn't shut up. There's no way I could have kept that up for more than a couple days, since I'm not Ozzy I backed way off the coffee by day 3, and things were more normal. It did help me get more done, but mostly because I didn't get sidetracked by nearly everything.

By the time I switched to the amphetamines I knew better.

I've taken stuff for it long enough that I have had mornings like that with tiredness etc. I suppose if I was taking a bunch more it would help.

The place I see it helping is in concentration. A hitter not distracted by the bikini girl in seat 5 row 10 and the fight in section 30. is likely to do a bit better.
Likewise, if you pay more attention in team meetings where they're covering the opponents tendencies that's also a plus.

But even that first day I probably couldn't have hit a fastball.

What's even odder is that there are a lot of processing things that it does help while it doesn't help others.
Like I still can't really even see a decent college fastball. I've been to the cage with and without, and anything above 80 I see it leave the machine, and see a white flash about halfway between. That's all I get medicated or not.

But I thought that after years of industrial stuff I had progressive hearing loss. Not a lot of high sounds, and in places like restaurants I would get maybe 25% of a discussion at my table mixed with a bit from the tables around me. The ADD meds fixed that almost instantly.