View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Google/Ebay issue--freaking out a little

I use google chrome. In the last month or two, there are times when I want to access some account of mine (non-bank), and it asks if I want to get there/sign on through google, facebook, etc. Well, I have been accessing ebay several times in this manner, through google, until today.

Why no more? Because when I was taken to my ebay page to review the couple of bids I have in, it showed them but showed no purchase history (I wanted to see when I had won something a few months ago). Then I saw why– the account that was showing was some other ebay user name that had just been created recently, because it had a feedback of zero. It had a couple of letters of my name in it, but is not anything I created. This was my ebay page– it showed the recent bids I just mentioned, but since I had won nothing lately, no purchase history. Sure enough, when I searched the ebay auctions for the cards I had bid, it showed my bid with the usual scrambled bidder id and then feedback 0. Not my nolemmings user ID that I have used for two decades--this newly contrived name.

How the hell was a new ebay account created without my consent and input? If I had won a card on that account and paid through paypal would my bank info now be compromised? Has anyone else experienced this?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.