View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Lower income people often do not have good choices. They are already often drinking water over soda. They are eating high fat content meals because that is what is available close to where they live and it is all they can afford.
For the fiftieth time, there is no city in America where you can't get fairly healthy food for cheap as well. A smaller serving (if you are obese you are obviously consuming more than your body needs) does not cost more money. I am sure some obese people only consume water, but it's not most of them.

Quote:
Low income people have choices in their healthcare decisions do, but are you going to blame we are talking about a diabetic that was prescribed insulin and could not take it, because to buy it would mean spending money that they must instead spend on housing or food instead?
This is the second time you've tried to go this bizarre route. I am in favor of diabetics getting their insulin. I don't think it should cost a penny, it is a life saving treatment. I think it is a travesty that our system makes it expensive and people's class and job status is a factor in whether they are able to take care of their diabetes. My brother is a type 1 and relies on insulin to stay alive, I don't think whether or not he is employed or has money should dictate his survival, or for anyone else who has this disease. I am very liberal on healthcare. I am also aware of basic biology.

To be cognizant of the undeniable biological fact that obesity requires you to eat far more than you need does not mean I don't think diabetics should be given insulin or that they should have to go without if they are poor. How would it? Can we at least pretend to be reasonable? Are you just going to keep making things up?

Quote:
Medical students repeatedly seeing such patients on follow-up visits after diagnosis who don't know what it's like to be poor would label these patients as "non-compliant" and would blame them for failing to take an active role in their healthcare, when in reality, the patients are stuck between a rock and a hardplace, and having to make a financial decision that may help their own illness but would leave their family without shelter or food. I'm hoping this analogy starts to make some lightbulbs go off.
Again, it is not more expensive to eat less. Vegetables are widely available and cheap. If you pound down unhealthy food in large quantity and get obese, which is how the vast majority of the obese get obese, that is their choice. Hopefully the lightbulb of basic human biology goes off. Eat too much, you get obese. Duh.