View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
There are lots of different opinions as to when the start of the junk wax era began. I personally would not consider 1980 topps a member of this phrase. I’m curious, however, as to the year you think the era began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you I am being harsh in applying the term to 1980, but I think that way from about 1978 until cards went all glossy (which is where my interest ends).

My feeling is that, from a collecting stand point (I'm not a seller), the difference between nearly 1 million (early 80's) and 3 million card print runs (late 80's) isn't as significant as the numerical difference indicates. If you believe the post on this site from JUrsaner on print runs (and if I'm reading it correctly) 800,000 of that card was produced. That's a significant supply. Of course, the 10 grade is the X factor here, but I'm guessing there is a significant supply of high grade protected but undergraded versions of this card out there still. Long term I think that will bear itself out in the price, just based on supply and demand.