Thread: Ya Got It?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Todd Schultz

As for the infield fly rule, that was just an umpire snafu, and I would expect Eddings to be quietly punished. That play was about as obvious an example of when the infield fly should be called as you will ever see. There is no reasonable explanation for Eddings not being aware that the rule was in play, and all umpires are supposed to raise their arm to signal it once it has been called.

What is surprising to me is how ignorant the baserunners acted, and in that sense, Eddings' blunder should not excuse their idiocy. Even the runner going to third thought he was out, as did the runner from first. Neither understood that they had no obligation to run and that they should stay put or easily be tagged out. Come to think of it, the fielders were really no smarter, except for Goldschmidt. The SS who took the throw at third base should have tagged the incoming runner rather than act as if he had accomplished a forceout, and the 2B too acted as if he need not tag the runner until Goldschmidt screamed at him to do so. Baseball 101.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.