View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default What's your oldest baseball related item?

Posted By: barrysloate

Of course Jason, now I remember you. We had that whole discussion of how to shorten your address so it would fit on a mailing label. I love all of the wonderful images you posted. Let me share a few thoughts. The dag is terrific, and the 1850's dating is accurate. And there is no question the boy on the right is holding a ball. However, there were literally dozens of games a child would use a ball for, so there is simply no way to ever determine that he was in the throes of a game of baseball when the picture was taken. My litmus test has always been not the presence of a ball, but of a bat. Only a few games used a bat, and only baseball used one with a round, and not flattened barrel. But I can't recall ever seeing a dag with anyone holding a ball, so yours is the best of that genre I've ever seen. Bravo! I once had a chance to purchase a miniature portrait ca. 1830-40 of a boy holding a ball; the dealer promised to hold it for me and when I drove up to Connecticut a few days later to get it, he said his partner had sold it to someone else. I was steamed, but what can you do.
The CdV images are wonderful, but I think your dating is a tad optimistic. I would say more like 1865, but why quibble. And never date any image-dag, tintype, ambro, or CdV- by the case it is in. Often, cases are purchased for the image at a later date and are not original to it. I always put aside nice cases just for those times when I purchased an uncased image. CdV sized thermoplastic cases are particularly difficult to find and I always had one or two aside for when I needed them. But it is great to see new CdV's that I haven't seen before, especially the team one. Mark Rucker is planning a book devoted exclusively to tintypes and CdV's- I'm sure he can always use more material. Thanks for sharing these. Barry