View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Did you see the T206 prices realized in all the David Hall (Heritage) auctions? Prices keep going up, and setting records. A common BL460 actually sold for $18k the other night...not $8k anymore. The big sets (T206, Cracker Jack, Goudey, 52 Topps) will always be in demand. It’s been that way for decades, and no signs of slowing down. The great thing with this hobby is the immense variety of “flavors”, something for everyone.
Agree with both your points, however how many of the 'everyone' that wants T206 commons/Cracker Jack commons/Goudey commons/52' Commons will remain in the hobby going forward is the point I was making.
The people supporting much of the vintage hobby and especially the deep pocketed ones have been doing so since the early 2000's and before.
They knew what they liked before it cost a bunch, were hunting rarity then and ever since, and still have the where with all and interest to 'complete' their searching desires.

I don't believe many of those collectors are going to be replaced in 20 years time. While this is the stuff of which we've all been enamored for the last 60 years, its relevance to those born since the 1980's is far less than what you might hope.

I never said all, I was careful to do so. Younger collectors find this site all the time and begin their journeys just as many of us have done over the decades.
But if they are competing against fewer collectors as those of us in our 50's and older die off, prices for esoteric no-name player stuff won't be there.
IMO.

It's a long course call, am totally happy for you to believe otherwise.
It's when talk of bubbles, and growth, and where that growth has it's belly, that I think sky high numbers for non HOF players are most risky for massive correction.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-25-2021 at 07:25 PM.