View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Like others have said, my personal investing history belies anyone relying too heavily on my crystal ball . . .

I think truly rare, highly desirable major iconic prewar cards will continue to appreciate in the next year. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb. Also Jackie and Clemente.
Investor groups will buy these like they'd buy a small company or some kind of investment vehicle. Don't see that ending.

I think the modern era rookie stuff, say like Rickey Henderson PSA 10s, will correct sharply. I think same for Michael Jordan stuff. I don't think people realize how plentiful that stuff is.

I hope really important vintage memorabilia and photographs appreciate, but it doesn't seem like that's where the focus has been with the big speculator crowd.

What I'm most fascinated with is the modern modern crowd. The guy who spends $180,000 today on a Jasson Dominquez card. A DUDE WHO HASN'T TAKEN AN OFFICIAL SWING YET IN ORGANIZED BASEBALL IN AMERICA. ON ANY LEVEL! Does this turn out to be an uncanny amazing purchase, or does someone piss away a real chunk of change. Honestly, unless you are Bezos or Musk, that's real money to take a complete flyer on. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
A benchmark quality card in our vintage arena - the T206 Cobb red, PSA 5 (no special back) is about $10.k right now +/- for centering. In a year do you all think this card will be more, same, or less?

My guess is this price will stabilize at this point, slightly higher odds of it going up a bit vs. down.

The sheer quantity of post-war actually out there amazes me - never thought I would see in a single auction a dozen '54 Banks, or similar. My guess here is prices may either stabilize, or dip a tad. Might be a time to sell this stuff.

Modern, just can't see it keeping the upswing outside a few iconic cards - Jordan RC type stuff. When I have time after tax season, I will be selling this stuff (getting a PSA sub back soon).

Steve - what do you think?