View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 08:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The 52 Topps Mantle is very unique in the emotional connection people seem have to it. It seems like half the hobby gets triggered if you simply state "the card is a double print" or correctly state that it's not a rookie (it's, what, his third or fourth mainstream card?). These statements are undeniably 100% factually true, and are not even an assault on the card, but it ruins a lot of Sunday's. It's the only card for which people do this. Tell the T206 guys that there are many cards rarer than a Wagner and they will agree with you instead of getting pissed. Tell a Baltimore Ruth fan that the card isn't a rookie but a pre-rookie because it's not a major league card and they will agree it's a minor league card. I suspect the reason for this is that the Mantle card is not difficult or rare and there are tons of copies, so many collectors own one and are bought into the seemingly never-ending pump with a vested interest in rocketing that as high as possible. T206 Wagner owners are much fewer and don't have to go agro to defend their investment because its demand and growth was more organic instead of an investment hype train.

Fans of the T206 Wagner, the Baltimore Ruth, and other cards have never tried to claim Mr. Mint as an authority of integrity before that's for sure

I would wager that even the most ardent or sensitive owners of the double printed 2nd year card of Mantle--the 1952 Topps--would probably agree that the appreciation the card has seen is somewhat disproportionate. Given the sheer number of them that have survived there are a great deal of collectors who have benefited from its appreciation over the last few years so I can see why saying anything negative even about the 1952 Topps set might put in jeopardy someone's Sunday.