View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Jamie

[QUOTE=MattyC;2258260]
You don't seem to understand the very real concepts of eye appeal or centering in the vintage space and how they in effect create rarity

I got into graded cards just under 10 years ago. Didn't know anything about grading companies. I was a HUGE Phillies and M. Schmidt fan as a kid. Had my childhood 73 M. Schmidt rookie card, and somehow came across graded cards. It just fascinated me and had to learn more. Among other things I joined Net54. I asked questions here etc. and Matty was always willing to answer and help me in my understanding of this new adventure.

The very first bit of advice he gave me was that he valued "Centering" first and foremost because it gave out the best "Eye Appeal". In my mind no truer or better advice can be given!

Well as a bit of time passed me and Matty became card acquaintances as I'll put it. We emailed and discussed the hoppy etc. I even purchased some great cards. Including a beautiful 1973 M. Schmidt PSA 9, that I had to make an offer he couldn't refuse because he didn't want to give it up. That card I've had a long time (can't believe it's been about 8 years).

My point is that in my experience with Matty. I've found him to be a man willing to answer and help in any way he can. Always very passionate and loved Mickey Mantle for sure! We lost touch years ago, I honestly don't remember the last time we corresponded. I see him posting here all the time and fondly recall how he really got me into collecting graded vintage, and pointed me in a direction I use to this day.