View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionman66 View Post
The one that stands out to me was in the late summer of 1978. We lived in a small town in northern Michigan and shortly after I turned 12 that July I rode my Huffy down to the corner store and picked up a wax pack of Topps baseball cards. I sat on the bench outside and opened the pack and there it was...John Wockenfuss! The last Tigers card I needed that year. I hopped back on my bike and sped home. I ran in the house shouting "I got Wockenfuss! I got Wockenfuss!" Then I noticed a stranger sitting with my parents at the kitchen table. That day my parents sold our house and we moved 250 miles away. When I look back I always consider the end of my childhood being that year when we moved. To this day I have bittersweet memories whenever I look at that card of Johnny B.
Touching story...it could almost be a scene from a great movie, it has such the range of emotions to it. Imagine the reaction of the stranger at the table when you came running in shouting "I got Wockenfuss!", and then your reaction upon realizing that a big change in your life was on the horizon. Joyous, awkward, hilarious, and poignant at the same time.

Thanks for sharing! I don't think anyone else could have a better John Wockenfuss baseball card story.

Brian