View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default 1876 Louisville Base Ball Company Stock Certificate

Posted By: Chris

I think I just made an unbelievable find. The pictures below show a Capital Stock Certificate for the Louisville Base Ball Company. The certificate is dated January 14, 1876. According to the research I have done, the first professional league, the National League was formed with 8 teams in 1876. The Louisville Team was the Grays, and were only in the league for 2 seasons. The greys were kicked out of Baseball in 1877 for gambling and possibly throwing games. Louisville baseball was revieved, under new ownership, I belive, in 1882 as the Louisville Eclipse.

I spoke with the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown and they said the Greys were the only team in Louisville in 1876. The certificate was sold to and signed by Joseph Grinstead. Purchasing 250 shares at $100 each. Mr. Grinstead owned 1/6 of the team. The Presidents signature is on the bottom of the certificate, signed, Timothy Brandenberg and the secretary, Calvin C. Bennett, I believe.

According to the many different people I have spoken with at Auction Houses, Cooperstown, Historians and Louisville Slugger this is the only known Louisville stock certificate dated 1876. What makes this item so special is that it is from the same year as the formation of the National League.

Does anyone have any additional information or recommend anyone who may? According to Cooperstown this is a scarce item but I am courious on an estimated value. If anyone has interest, I am opened to offers.

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.