View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 07:29 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
It sure as Hell didn't take long for the vultures to circle.... The three best players I have ever seen that can score at will.... Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Pete Maravich....There you have it
Kevin, if you were to ask 100 current NBA fans who Pete Maravich was, how many of them do you think would even recognize his name? Beyond simple name recognition, how many would know what he did in the NBA, or how thoroughly he dominated in the NCAA?

One of the reasons I love Net54-one of many-is that there's a real knowledge of, and appreciation for the histories of the games behind the cards. Not everyone that collects vintage and pre-WWII baseball cards loves today's game. And, I can't say I'd blame them if they couldn't get into Major League Baseball as it exists in he year 2020, after multiple strikes, ridiculous player salaries, the scandals (steroids, sign stealing), etc. But these collectors can talk about the golden era at great length.

I'm somewhere in between. I still enjoy today's game quite a bit, but it doesn't resonate with me quite as much as it used to. I'm going to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings for the first time in four years, and see if I can't rediscover the passion for the modern game.

Regardless of the level of affinity our members feel for the games as they're played today, they know the past very well. I can come here and start talking about Maravich, Jerry West, or John Havlicek, and people are going to have rich memories of seeing these guys in person. When I go to a post by the NBA on Facebook, something about the current New York Knicks, for example, and the "die hard, lifelong Knicks fans" don't know who Willis Reed is, I want to shoot myself in the head. Earl "the Pearl" Monroe, Walt Frazier..."oh, I've heard of them."

It's as if the game, and the team didn't exist before Patrick Ewing. So many "fans" just dismiss any era that happened before they were born.

There are precious few places left where I can intelligently discuss the past. Net54 allows me to indulge my love of collectibles and sports history. Leon provides us with the virtual sports bar. It's all of you that make the conversation stimulating.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.