View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Is anyone here familiar with the 1985 Dominican League Stickers set both Beckett and SCD include in their listings? The Standard Catalog had the most detail, but both volumes have the same, incomplete checklist. The SCD listing implies that their checklist was based on a copy of the album, and that they could only identify certain players (explaining all of the "UNKNOWN" entries). This implies that someone at Krause had at least copies of pages from an album to work from. SCD removed the listing from their later editions of the Standard Catalog (when they were pruning obscure oddball sets to make room for the latest stuff).

So far, the only image of a sticker from this set is the Cuqui Rojas which Mr. Lopez has on display at cubanball.com. I emailed Mr. Lopez, and he doesn't actually own any of them and received the image of the Rojas from someone else (presumably from an old auction listing).

After a few weeks of digging on the web, I've not turned up any more information, but did learn that Dominicans tend to call baseball cards "postalitas" rather than "tarjetas" or "estampas" as in Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Mexico. I was hoping to take a stab at filling in some of the gaps in the checklist, but cannot find any resources. Dominican auction sites just turn up MLB cards or soccer cards.

Any help would be appreciated!
Glad to see you posted this here. I would love to hear some more info on this set. Would at least like to see the Fred McGriff from this set eventually. Its the first card on my checklist I made from using Beckett and other sources. If anyone should know the whereabouts for a McGriff from this set please let me know as I am very interested in finding one.

Last edited by BenG76; 01-16-2014 at 04:27 PM.