View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Shows

I love going to shows as a customer. There are many times when I drive to a show and I don't purchase anything, but I enjoy talking with the dealers and you never know what kind of cards you will come across.

I attend shows in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I have had some good luck at the Bloomington, MN mall show, but I haven't been there for a couple of years. One of the dealers who had vintage has moved east, so he won't be there any more.

I set up at 4-6 shows a year in Iowa and Wisconsin. Sometimes I do real well and sometimes I don't make enough to cover my table fee. I mainly use the shows to blow out commons and lower end stuff that I have picked up when purchasing collections. There are some shows where the junk sells well and I can get rid of a lot of stuff. There are other shows where I bring a lot of pre-war cards and oddball memorabilia. I enjoy the shows, whether or not I make any money at them. I enjoy trading with other dealers, and many purchases are made before the show starts.

One thing that I have discovered is that there are lot of dealers who are selling 50's, 60's, and 70's cards. The competition is fierce, and there are a lot of these cards around. I try to stay away from cards from those years, except for unusual cards or short printed cards.

Just go and have fun, talk to the dealers, see some nice cards, and you may even be able to pick up something for your collection.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.