View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 09:35 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1963

Good morning. This week I will cover 1963 for the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. There are 13 entries in the master and the first for Bazooka (one of my favorite issues; I collect all things Bazooka and what a chore that has become...I often take breaks with the Bazooka collection but never pass up a Brooks). Starting from the top left you'll find the 1963 Bazooka Panel, the complete box and single hand cut card. The panel is graded a PSA 7, which is pretty high (one graded higher). The hand cut card has two graded higher. The box I was shocked to see it only grade as a PSA Authentic (this was especially hard to accept given the rarity of the box and its value). Because the tabs are missing, it received an Authentic grade, which is interesting as I have another Bazooka box without the tabs they graded as a PSA 5. The Bazooka boxes are very hard to find (especially in a nice condition). To the left of the bazooka box, you will find the 2nd year for Brooks with Salada. The PSA 9 is not that rare (22 others are graded as 9s); there are 4 graded PSA 10s out there. Next, you will see the 1963 Jell-O hand cut card of Brooks. I have sent so many to PSA to be graded and have not had any luck higher than this PSA 3. There are 5 graded higher than this PSA 3, which is actually pretty rare above the Grade of Authentic. I would love to find a complete box (does anyone have one they want to "donate?"). The two Post Cereal' card/panels are nothing special (relatively speaking). Finding a Post Hand Cut card at this level is not easy but there as many as 28 graded higher. The panel has a lot of issues on the bottom and left but they are pretty tough to find (especially with the advertising at the top). There are only two graded. I would love to upgrade this one someday. If I do, maybe I can break the slab and cut the Brooks card out and submit it for a higher grade (I know...blasphemy). Moving to the bottom left you will find the 1963 Exhibits with statistics on the back. This is Brooks' second Exhibit card. This example is graded pretty high; there are 3 graded higher. Next, you will find the 1963 Fleer at a PSA 9. There are 51 graded as a PSA 9 and 4 PSA 10s out there, which I hope to find someday. I am a huge fan of this set. The 1963 Topps Peel Offs are pretty cool. There are 46 total cards in this set. The cards were not numbered and came with and without instructions on the back, which is how PSA grades them. The PSA 9 with the instructions on the back is tied as highest graded and pretty expensive. The PSA 8 with a blank back (no instructions) has one graded higher. This one has 4 other PSA 8 peers. Finally, you will find the two regular Topps Cards from 1963. The Orioles Team card is a PSA 8. Finding a higher graded Team Card is easy but they are pricy. The Topps Regular Card of Brooks at the PSA 9 level is a little expensive but easy to find. There is one PSA 10, which I will "not" worry with. Well, that is 1963. Lots of different examples in 1963 and next week (1964) will have even more. I look forward to the comments and different team issued examples from folks for 1963. Have a warm Sunday and don't forget to take care of your Valentine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 Brooks.jpg (77.5 KB, 254 views)