View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I don't get it when somebody lists a '75 Brett as iconic, but not the Yount from the same set. Both came up at the same time. Both were among the very best players of their generation. Both got their 3,000th hit within 10 days of each other, and both went into the Hall together.
This is a legitimate point. My only reason is because I was born in 1980 and raised a Royals fan, so I consider Brett to be the best. Yes, I'm a bit of a homer for my Royals. I remember Brett and Yount reaching 3,000 at about the same time, but Brett had a larger impact since I watched him play in person and on the TV FAR more frequently than Yount. Is Yount still involved in baseball? I know Brett is very involved with the Royals front office.

Is there a guide for various years of cards and what to look for? Something specific I could read and maybe see images of Real vs. fake? I would love to learn this stuff, and would especially love to learn how PSA grades their cards. In my untrained opinion a PSA 3 and 1 don't look very different especially when we start talking about the difference in the half-grade differences. I bought a few vintage cards from a set breaker in 2012 and what I thought for sure would be an 6 or 7 came back 4s and 5s. I was very disappointed and decided to stay with modern cards. I just really have a desire to get mostly out of the new stuff though so I keep circling around to vintage.

1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese is gorgeous. I really like that set, but I think my favorite is 1950 Bowman, for some reason the small square cards always get my attention.