View Single Post
Old 03-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default Watch Out for Crooked Ebay Seller or the laments of a novice collector

Posted By: Hankron

My personal reocommendation to all those who read this board, is to save that eBay text somewhere, perhaps in a word document. And whenever someone is selling a problemantic item with an 'as is' return policty, send them the text of that eBay's rule.

I would also like (if possible, as we all know he's a busy man rearaning those cards in his office waiting room) that Adam quote the California law concerning forgery, alteration, etc of cards and other colletcables. In a similar manner, we can all copy down that law and quote it to eBay sellers as neccesary.

My opinion is that a liberal quoting of law and eBay rules, may be effective.

I want to add, that both I and, likely eBay, don't intend their rule to be applied in an arbitrary and absolutist way. There are many genuine and valuable items that reasonably cannot be dated to a particular year or a particular company or artist. For example, I've often sold photographs that date 'circa 1940s' or a premium that is 'from 1944 but the issuer is unkown.' If you go through a Lipset or MastroNet auction catalog, I'm sure you will find a variety of items where significant details are resonable up to debate.

I beleive that eBay applies this rule in particular to items like a Babe Ruth autograph or T206 Ty Cobb or Old Judge Cap Anson, where the difference between an authentic item and fake is significant price wise, where there is common knowledge about the item, and where a seller should make a good and sincere authentic before offering it.

I also beleive that eBay will not penalize a seller if he or she breaks the rule just once. The person would be banned if it is the common selling practice for them to move their problematic product.