View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default Olde-tyme football...a lack of respect?

Posted By: John S

I have debated this topic with a number of fellow collectors. Why is it that early professional football players, collectibles, etc. do not seem to be as revered as their baseball contemporaries?

The all-time football teams posted on net-54 are laden with modern players (and I am not criticizing, it is difficult to exclude players like Montana, Marino, and Barry Sanders). But all-time baseball teams are often very different. The players selected often broadly represent the 20th century.

Is it that baseball and its players have changed so little over the past 100+ years that players like Ty Cobb and Christy Mathewson could easily play and excel in today's game? However, Mike Michalske, at 210 pounds, would be laughed at if he assumed his Guard position at Lambeau Field this season.

My point is that we should evaluate football players during the era in which they played. Players like Glen Presnell, Al Wistert, and Pete Calac are rarely even mentioned for consideration for the HOF yet based on historical accounts they dominated the game. The early history of the NFL is sparsely documented and has a limited (yet passionate) collector base. More attention and respect needs to paid to early game and its players.