View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 02:07 PM
John

I've given up on full sets like I used to do in the old days. More because I didn't want to go through all the packs of cards. I had boxes, upon boxes of sorted commons etc. When I started getting back into things 10-12 years ago I got really into all the chase cards and found that enjoyable. I mainly go after Cubs cards and enjoy that.

I read a write-up on the Orbit Gum pins and saw there were some pretty cool names in there and that with 60 pins in the unnumbered set, thought to myself that looks like I could do that and afford it. It was my first foray into the older stuff, other than a few stray low grade T206's I have. I started with a Kiki Cuyler and kinda went from there. I keep a spreadsheet with what I need, doubles and how much I have paid. I think I have managed to keep my costs down, but as I get to the last 3 it's dragging on. I've lost out on 2 Gabby Hartnett auctions over the last couple of months. Last second bidders, I can't bring myself to use a sniper auction tool.

I ran some numbers on Gwynn/Boggs/Sandberg 83 Topps PSA 10's over the last year. Wow. I really regret not buying some Sandberg 10's a couple of years back.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC