Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 11:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default May Pickups

As a kid, I used to shun "last" cards because I got the idea somehow that they only showed old players, washed up fat players, players past their prime. But into my adulthood as a collector, it slowly dawned upon me how historically significant many of them are. It took a lot longer for me to realize how few players - even bonafide superstars - got "career capper" cards in the fashion of this '69 Mick. That was a mistake, of course - as Topps and Sy Berger thought Mantle would be playing after he reported to spring training that year - but alas, it was not to be.

This one had been calling my name at the LCS for awhile now. I suppose the chief complaint would be that it shows a bit of tilt on the border s-s, but that doesn't really bother me. Between tilt and centering, ‘69 can be a real pain. I decided at some point in the last few years that image and print quality were my two top criteria for vintage, with a preference for cards that are devoid of major creases. This one fits the bill nicely there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-03-2022 at 04:06 PM.