View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
As long as the hobby exists as a place where large sums of money are spent on cards professional
Grading will remain a fixture. It may be a different company it may have different parameters than today but it will exist as long as big money is being spent in the hobby. If grading does it will be because a large part of the hobby dies with it.
Fully agree that card grading won’t go away in our lifetimes. But it could adapt, and have a vastly different look before we kick the bucket. Perhaps it’s the way cards are graded, perhaps it’s improved methods for detecting alteration, perhaps it’s a company that spends more time analyzing the cards, perhaps it’s a company that caters to collectors rather than shareholders, perhaps they ditch number grades in favor of descriptive ones, perhaps a company will enter the fray with a different take altogether.

I’d support a TPG that could simply deem a card as being unaltered, provided they could do it effectively. I know others would as well. Maybe there’s a niche for those who don’t give a hoot about the Registry, or paying 1000 times more for a card because it “appears” to be mint. I just have a hunch that something different will come along as the “mistakes” continue to be revealed. And if the FBI does intervene, it will only serve to accelerate the process.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-02-2019 at 03:30 PM.