View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 01:07 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Bob, and anyone else that wants to chime in on this set, here is Lew Lipset's confirmed list from the 1987 2nd printing edtiion of his guide. I haven't found any other public lists of the confirmed backs. As you point out, and others pointed out earlier in this thread in 2015, the tpg's don't get the backs correct often enough on the labels to use for a confirmed list.

I'm going to put my checklist of my cards on here with scans. I should have some time for that later tomorrow.
Thanks Rob,

I forgot all about that listing in Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia. Hadn't looked at it in years. I don't believe any more than the 14 players, plus Hart as the manager for a total of 15 different cards, have ever been found. But I'm sure that some of those missing backs for several players have been. I know that for a fact as my John Clarkson has a Number 7 Cigars back on it, which was unknown at the time Lipset's Encyclopedia came out.

And if you go to the PSA and SGC Pop Reports, and compare those to Lipset's lists, it looks like Number 7 Cigar backs do exist for all 15 different fronts. But for the Diamond S Cigar backs, between Lipset and the Pop Reports I can only confirm it exists for 14 of the 15 different fronts. Can't be confirmed for J.B. Ray yet. Although, the SGC Pop Reports do list one J.B. Ray card, but don't say which back it has. Also, based on the mislabeled back on the N526 card the OP posted and started this thread about, I guess we can't be 100% certain the Pop Reports are completely accurate anyway. Still a rare issue though, with only 95 total graded so far between PSA and SGC.