Thread: topps tiffany
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 AM
Rob Anderson

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I have liked them since the late '90's due to their limited production (anywhere from around 2,000-3,000 of the "91's to 60,000 of the '87's) and higher end character. In the midst of gross overproduction of regular cards of the era, they form sort of an oasis. I agree that they will prove to be some of the better cards of that era in terms of value in the long run, but in terms of outright rarity, they will never approach many significant prewar cards.

PS: Please, no more nonsense about Pete Rose being the greatest hitter of all time. Per BaseballReference.com, Rose's average 162 game season was 6 HR, 60 RBI, .303, with an OPS of .784 and an OPS+ of 118. Average 162 game season for Ted Williams: 37 HR, 130 RBI, .344, 1.116 OPS and 190 OPS+. In addition, by the yardstick I consider most accurate, Bill James' runs created compared to a league average player, there are only 8 players who created 200% of the runs an average player of the same era created, and Ole Teddy Ballgame tops the list at 250% (better over his entire career than Lou Gehrig was (also a member of the 200% club) in his very best season, 1927 (47 HR, 54 doubles, 17 Triples, 118 extra base hits, .373 BA, for 249% of average league runs created). Ruth, by the way, was second at 240% (while the Babe created more total runs, scoring was higher and runs easier to create on average during his era). Rose, in comparison, is absolutely nowhere in sight! The best player remains Ruth over Williams, because the Babe has to be given credit for his substantial pitching success with the Red Sox.

Larry
Interesting. Where does Mauer fit into all this?