View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Eric Perry

As a lifelong Phillies fan, I have long been familiar with the name Jim Konstanty. As a member of the pennant winning Whiz Kids, he won the 1950 National League MVP award. I was a young kid in the late '70s, and I often heard Phillies fans speak of that 1950 team, since they were the last Phillies club to reach the World Series.

By 1956, Konstanty was on the New York Yankees, the team which beat the Phillies in that Fall Classic. He was nearly 40 years old, and at the end of his career. In that year, Topps captured the veteran pitcher on card #321.

The portrait of Konstanty accurately depicts an athlete at the end of their playing days. It would not have surprised me to see "coach" or "manager" on the front nameplate rather than a position. He looks wise and learned; however, does not appear to be wildly energetic.

The background image intrigues me. At first glance, it appears to be a typical ballpark scene. As I looked more closely, though, I discovered that something simply did not add up. Furthest from the viewer, there is an outfield wall, visible stands, and some architectural features. It seems like the sight one would see from the third base dugout. Then, in the foreground, Konstanty is following through after throwing the ball...seemingly into that same dugout.

Additionally, take a look at the right edge of the card, near Konstanty's ear. There appears to be a fence and a treeline. I'm no photo expert; however, I believe the perspective is off here. In total, the action shot seems to have been crafted from three different pictures:

- Konstanty throwing
- The large outfield scene under the nameplate
- The small outfield scene near the right edge

As I continue to collect this set, it is becoming apparent that Topps took some creative license with the artwork for their cards. Not that there's anything wrong with them doing this. In a way, it actually adds to the appeal of the cards. Topps chose to produce something which would bring fans, predominantly children, closer to the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-321-Jim-Konstanty-(Front).jpg (78.5 KB, 287 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra