View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 02:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Steve says, “I did my diligence just like I do for a sports case.” This is the part that I have a problem with. Yes, we can agree that the product was out of his knowledge base. But the way he examined the product was the same way he’s going to examine any unopened case (the product inside is irrelevant).
The reason I wrote what I did is that the product label was inconsistent with other actual 1st edition cases. I expect Steve has a database of examples of many or all the various Topps/Fleer/etc boxes and cases that his company chooses to authenticate. And just like an autograph authenticator, would verify that the product number/code/printing style/font are consistent with known examples.

There is not another known 1st Edition '99 base set case (opened or unopened), as far as what has been revealed, that used the '1E' at the end of the product code, and the '1E' was not embedded in the bar code. Also, it seems some of the spacing of the words were different than real examples. If Steve was going to authenticate the "only known" unopened case valued at $3 million at the time, these are things he should have been doing.
I have said on the other board that he should have passed on authenticating the box, because he didn't know what the box was supposed to look like.

Similarly, there are many cards that PSA should refuse to authenticate that they still choose to, despite not having the background information needed to confirm are unaltered compared to how they were packed out. Many chrome autographed cards have been wiped off due to streaking/fading and either the player has signed them again or a forger has signed them. VERY FEW of any chrome cards that PSA grades need to be authenticated that they were factory original autographs. Same with embedded patches / patch swapping. PSA/BGS etc only confirm the card itself is real, not that the piece of material in the card is the one that was embedded with. Because the 3rd party graders are incompetent or unwilling to consider those as being faked, it calls into question all of their authenticated auto and patch cards.

Here's one that's currently being challenged at Goldin:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502551 Card was graded about 5 years ago based on cert number.

Here's a good thread on patch swapping:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...light=swapping There's a nearly 200 page thread on LeBron cards in the same baskeball forum.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.