View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I've built it...sold it...building it again right now but not my sole focus.

Cards or nuances I noticed -

*Rose card is tough to get a good deal on, and a lot are really OC or just dinged. Tough to find a good, solid, EX raw version

*Same with Mantle...both times I bought a PSA 5, and freed to raw. Only way I could trust not getting a soaked, worn, dirty EX raw example

*Some Met's commons are treated like SP (Mike Joyce, a few others) and will rarely be in lot's and command a premium on ebay for whatever reason ( I have no idea)

*High numbers are relatively easy, BINS are WAY overpriced on ebay. Wait for a solid trusted set break for the highs, they usually go for the correct value. BINs exagerate auction pricings. Patience

*Yes, the Neikro is the expensive rookie but several second layer players are "pricey" where again, patience will pay off. Tommy John, Dick Allen, Lou Pineilla, and Tony Conigliaro are a few Rookie cards that can cost you if you aren't careful...assuming the goal is to get solid EX cards and not break the bank.

*The Curt Flood card comes with a premium due to the dude who is hoarding them. It's gone down recently...used to be tough to even find one. Several now, he must be chilling out...lol

*Debate on whether the back being rubbed off takes away value...I really don't care to be honest. I still look for no creases, decent corners unless a little OC (then corners need to be tight)...rubbed off trivia means little to me

*The Ken Hubbs tribute card in the high series is tough to find, especially in EX raw, and will command a premium.

*The second to the last series is also a bit pricey, much like the 67s...and rarely are included in lots...but not break the bank.

*The Leader cards at the beginning of the set are pricier than other years, mostly because they have solid players on them, several with Aaron, etc.

Again...just some random notes I found...and as said having built all the 60s sets, I'd rank 60s in hardest/priciest etc here, easiest to hard (just my opinion)-

1. 1965 (No high number premium, RC's aren't that expensive)
2. 1969 (A few expense cards, highs are fairly easy)
3. 1968 (Ryan RC, highs are easy, Tigers cards premium)
4. 1964 (Easy RC's, highs mid premium)
5. 1960 (Yaz, AS cards in high series, high commons mid premium)
6. 1962 (Highs mid premium with tough RC Parades, easy RCs, AS Cards (buys stars twice, lol)
7. 1966 (Highs ridiculous, decent RC's, Mantle is DP though)
8. 1963 (Highs Mid premium, but has Stars, ROSE)
9. 1961 (Highs TOUGH, AS in Highs, MVP cards, HOF RC's)
10. 1967 (Highs ridiculous w/HOF RC's Seaver/Carew)

64 is on the easier side all things considered, and my experiences are also based on Mid Grade EX...not graded set registry, lol. LOTS of FUN!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-18-2021 at 07:46 PM.