View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Scott Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
I'm sure someone could do it with carefully placed paper tape and the proper chemical. Just a matter of what the surface would look like after the procedure. I also don't know what a proper NNOF surface looks like under magnification. Did the process of leaving out the black ink also leave a different surface gloss? I imagine only someone who has examined one would know.
I'm not a printing expert...not even close, but I can't imagine how someone could replicate the ink's color set against the print dots, especially under magnification. The color loss (or in the case of the subtle increase of value) on the arm would seem virtually impossible even if altering an actual NNOF since you would have to match (at a magnified level) the gradual change in shade. As far as the gloss surface, I would think it would lead to some kind of variance in the surface of the card by changing the finish even if only to a small degree. I would think it would be easier to forge a Van Gogh than forge a card like that - under magnification.

I wonder if the grading companies (assuming they determined it was authentic) steered away from it because they would have a difficult time deciding how to label it. I honestly think, if it's legitimate, they should give it it's own designation like 'faded name FNOF' just as the 1937 D 3 1/2 legged Buffalo is designated as such versus the '37 D 3 Legged Buffalo nickel (for anyone who collects coins).