View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
I'm 99% sure is says Expos. You can see an E on the back of some other players in their Jacksonville team sets.

It sure does seem the cropping changes were done to obscure the Marlboro advertisement. I was unaware of these 1989 Topps variations. Thank you for pointing to a 2nd example and 2nd manufacturer that year that covered a tobacco ad by editing it out during production, which is another interesting clue.

We've discussed the Clear/Blue, Fish and Negative versions of these error variations a little. That leaves the Marlboro, Red, Greens and...what else??Steve posted a really cool picture of some of his Marlboro versions on another site and hopefully he'll share it here as well. Who else has some images of their other versions they would like to share?

Also, during the recent downtime, I scanned some of my clearest PSA graded ("no-tint") examples using the same scanner with same scan settings. Here is that picture in case anyone is interested. All of the cards pictured except the clearest version one (i.e., N1, or "no tint" clarity 1) would fall in the N2 ("no tint" clarity 2) bin.

https://imgur.com/a/DgBH8Yh

Last edited by steve5838; 07-19-2020 at 02:50 PM.