View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
That's a great question Ben. I believe your blue card is the one you posted about in this thread, correct?

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218755

With your card you can read the lettering in Marlboro pretty well in the scan despite the amount of tinting over the ad. Your card was one of the 4 or 5 that will fall in the mid-blue level on Steve's chart. With the blue box version I referenced you are unable to view the Marlboro lettering in the scan of the card and appears very much like some other "box" versions, but unlike those other versions with the blue box card in hand, you can still read the letters in Marlboro. The blue box version is the 3rd image on post #41.

To follow up with your question, the lightest known red versions are the cards like the bottom three cards from the none column. As you mentioned, the "clear" card that I suggested be moved to top of the blue column has very little to no red tinting on the card and as the card does gain tinting over the ad its blue tinting and not red so it gets progressively bluer and not more red with additional tint. With the way Fleer produced the cards the clear versions go from clear to mid-blue to blue box and why I suggest that the top card in the none column and Kevin's card go atop the future blue column. This is also why I suggested the other cards in the none column be moved to the top of 2 future red columns. As these 2 red run of cards gain more tint they become darker red and become so much darker red they transition to the two other cards I included in post #41.

I also suggested that he add two columns to his chart for the fish versions. If you look at the 2 different albums of the versions of the fish on my Flickr page you'll notice that the cards are setup in similar fashion to what Steve is suggesting in his chart. The top cards have very little tinting and the cards at the bottom have so much tinting that they transition into "box" versions. The cards transitioning is not a coincidence, but how Fleer covered the error.

By making some changes to his chart I think we can highlight the different versions and how each version transitions in a lineage from light to darker. I don't have it 100% figured out at this point, but if I'm wrong I think it will come out pretty quick by trying to develop the chart further. If I'm right filling in the gaps will be fun and give us a better understanding of the errors.
No, I have the box version like the one you posted. I will try and find it but it is exactly like the box one you posted. I don't know who owns the one in the link now. I traded it and it has been sold at least once since then.

It is great what you guys are doing. Back when I was hoarding them I always wanted to take pics and make a list for all the different versions.

EDIT: Added pic it is kinda hard t see in the pic but it definitely looks like yours in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluebox.jpg (26.5 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 07-26-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add pic