View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
The only other two who might merit consideration would be Ken Morrow and Butch Goring.
I watched Morrow's entire career from 301 and 205 at the Coliseum, I never considered him an HoF guy, but it is a nice sentiment. Goring, I think people forget his time in Los Angeles. Sort of forgotten out there for 10 prime years.

Honestly, the player that I am surprised there isn't more of a groundswell of support is the "original" JT: John Tonelli. Interestingly enough, I've run into him several times under random circumstances over there years. First time, he and I were shooting pool at an empty bar in Midtown in the mid 90s. I drunkenly got him to call my dad from a payphone in the middle of the night to say hi. To this day, my father has no recollection of this event. I ran into him at Tiffany and Company in Manhasset in the early 2000s. I brought up the phone call and we BS'd a bit. Then, I ran into at the ground breaking for Belmont. He had just finished up his meet and greet and I bumped into him with my two little kids. As he left, I said, "John, you were 7 points away from 1000 for your career!" and he cut me off and said, "My son tells me this all the time...." and then proceeded to tell me he should have hung around for those 7 points.

He was an extremely important part of that Isles team. I wonder if the Flames won in 86 or if he was on that 89 team if he would have gotten some more consideration. He's another formidable player. As Gillies was the toughest player in the league for the better part of late 70s and 80s, Tonelli was the best corner man in the league for over a decade. It is easy to talk to former Isles here on the Island, but I'd really like to talk to Flames, Kings and Aeros fans. He's closer than you'd think, too.