View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Oh I see now Jeff. I was assuming the note was Rube because it has the loop and not the stick.

And Tom's post is so interesting., for reasons you stated.

I wonder if we can figure out when Rube stopped signing himself? In other words, was he consistently signing himself until the end or periodically or was there a cut off maybe after his hospital stay? Again, sorry if this was discussed earlier, I haven't re-read.

I'll have to find the signed Rube I acquired more recently to see where it falls.

Interesting stuff here.
Peter, as far as I know (from the research I have been doing), there has never been any formal thought that someone was signing for Rube. I don't believe anyone has theorized he may have used a ghost signer before. If someone else has been researching this as well I would love to collaborate. It's interesting too that you have proof of a stamp being used at that time. Admittedly I have been focusing on handwriting and haven't specifically been looking for stamps, so I haven't noticed that before either. Regarding the "Happy Birthday" note, it doesn't quite have the same "Stick" in the R as the others but it's very similar in other areas (the start of the "u" in Rube starting separately and so high above the end of the R, not connecting it with the R, and the finish of the "d", among other things. The letters themselves in the "Happy Birthday" part are nothing like his handwriting. Lastly, it would be quite odd indeed for him to stamp the card and HOF plaque but write the short note. By all means, if you have any other Marquard signed items, especially if you can date to when there were signed, please post away. Best, Jeff

Last edited by ATP; 05-22-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more info