View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 08:45 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Does nobody seem to notice or is it something that is talked about all the time and has the national attention? I think it’s the latter. Do you really think the prevalence of violence in Chicago is due to a lack of good guys with guns? At any rate, the main point is that we can’t prevent someone with known terrorist affiliations to purchase as many guns and bullets as they want - that seems like a problem.
The main point is NOT that we can't prevent a known ISIS member from buying guns. Add up all the murders throughout the country each year. What percentage are committed by known terrorists? Some tiny fraction, well less than one percent?

The main point is that some of the very strictest gun control laws in this country, for decades, have existed in Chicago. Simultaneously, some of the highest gun murder rates have existed in Chicago. So what does a former President, and you, say to that? You both lament not having stricter gun control laws.

I live in a rural area where just about every household has some kind of gun, often more than one. My neighbors are hunters and some, like me, are NRA members. We have almost no murders out here and a primary reason is that criminals know this is a dangerous place for them to commit crime.

Clear your mind of your preconceptions for just one minute and really think about what I'm going to say here. Don't worry, it won't hurt. Ready? Okay, now, if a guy is contemplating committing mass murder, what does it mean to him when he sees on a building's doors: NO GUNS ALLOWED ON THESE PREMISES?

Does he think:
a) Well, I can't shoot up this place because I'm not allowed to bring my gun inside

or

b) Wonderful, I can murder to my heart's content with assurance there won't be anyone armed inside to stop me.

?

The harder you make gun ownership and conceal/carry laws for law abiding people, the easier you make it for criminals to murder. Common sense to many.... baffling concept for some.