View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Can you elaborate on why you need to be more cautious about storage and how you view these items? I ask because I have the same thoughts as you but what to see if I’m right or wrong about my gut feeling as I keep going back and forth on this issue. Please explain! Thanks
Cards I purchased are now worth significantly more than when I viewed them as a hobby. Most of my cards were ungraded; some have deteriorated due to handling. For example, one set of cards, (1930 Fleer Whiz Bang) I noticed has surface wear. I have hardly taken these cards out of their original holder since their purchase. I figured this happened when I moved the storage container, which I have done several times, and they got jostled. They were stored in the original packaging (large Toploaders) and there wasn't one particular size that fit this issue due to its shape. So I submitted them for grading, hoping this adds a layer of protection. This is the first time I have ever had a card graded.

I collect Kellogg's issues as well. The cards develop cracks over time and it seems to be dependent upon how they are stored - mainly moisture and temperature. Having them graded won't solve this issue but I ended up buying a number of refurbished ammo cases with new rubber gaskets. A 7.62mm ammo case holds graded cards perfectly. I added a couple of silica gel packs and this seems to have solved the problem of variation in humidity. The rubber gasket on the cases seems to help keep the humidity constant. I am going to start keeping all of my graded cards in refurbished ammo cases. If you go this route - make sure to get refurbished cases with new gaskets. Some sellers don't replace the gasket. The larger ammo cases seem to be more suited to holding raw cards in top loaders snugly. They even have large size ammo cases (actually night vision goggle cases) which fit large cards like T3 Turkey Reds or 1951 Wheaties Premiums.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 07-29-2022 at 08:06 AM.