Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Yeah, it’s a really big albumen photograph glued to the Wood backing just like a normal cabinet or CDV. This isn’t my real area, I have a number of historical cabinets and a few boxers, so this size is new to me. I’m not sure what these are called, it’s significantly bigger than an Imperial Cabinet Card.

I did not get the Muldoon, as he’s posed as a wrestler and I have to draw lines somewhere. That one has a better picture though and I saved a scan. Shame this one has the liquid damage and some fading. I’ve had a Donovan cabinet on my want list for a long time. I hadn’t seen one before, he was retired by the time cabinets became popular so I wasn’t sure if there was one.

Are there other J. Wood ~8x10 boxers?

According to David Rudd's guide it can fall into either the Imperial Cabinet or simply the Mounted Photo category at that size.

He also seems to think most in this size are actually silver/gelatin prints rather then albumen. Albumen's of this size could be made but were a bit too fragile to be practical. They exist but are rare.

Not sure I've seen other J. Woods of this size (or I can't remember), though I'm sure they're out there somewhere. I'd imagine there's at least a few large Sullivans kicking around.