View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Looking for some help please with IDing players and location/time frame. I know there was a series of US military ballgames played during WWII including a championship game with MLB players. I believe this is from a random game sometime 1945 in the Pacific. Thoughts?

(Photo 1) Pee Wee Reese & I think Billy Herman..?

(Photo 2) Navy Baseball Player (?)

Thank you!
These photos were taken at the Service World Series in the fall of 1944 in the Hawaiian Islands. These were both taken at Furlong Field at the Pearl Harbor Naval Station. The top one is of Reese and Herman. The bottom one looks like Gene Woodling to me.

If you are interested in parting with these, I preserve baseball militaria and have a photo archive that I share with authors, museums and others who share the history of service baseball. See chevronsanddiamonds.org

My friend and colleague, Gary Bedingfield published a book a few weeks ago covering service baseball in the islands during the war: Baseball in Hawaii During World War II

Chevrons and Diamonds

Last edited by 67Rally; 05-06-2021 at 10:33 PM.