View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 01:11 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I had talked about this card up thread. It is a 95 Score card of Jayhawk Owens. Well the front of the card is Jim Tatum and the back of the card is indeed Jayhawk (Claude) Owens.

One of the earliest horrible trades that Bob Gebhardt made as General Manager of the Rockies. The Rockies had two young and good catchers at the AAA level, Jayhawk Owens and some dude named Brad Ausmus (much better than good).

Brad went on to have a really nice career. Jayhawk was out of baseball after a couple of years. I remember when Gebhardt made the trade, he was at Sky Sox stadium one evening shortly after the trade. I saw him and I went up to him and told him that he traded the wrong catcher.

We sent Alan Ashby (player to be named later), Doug Bochtler and Brad Ausmus for Greg Harris, and a throw in Bruce Hurst from San Diego, and none of these did anything spectacular for the Rockies.

While Claude was still in AAA I asked him to sign this card but he would only, at that time, sign the back of it. Later on, I guess he changed his mind as you can find his autograph on the front of this card.

I have one with Tatum and Owens signed in the team set for that year. Good times.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20220215_12510949.jpg (72.6 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg img20220215_12514778.jpg (74.2 KB, 453 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.