View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 02:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Pretty cool. I opened an IRA finally four or five years ago and have been slowly learning the market ever since. Haven't dabbled in warrants or options as of yet.
I have most of my Roth IRA money in a Vanguard life strategy index fund, but I like messing around a little bit with individual stocks as well. It took me a while to learn the ins and out of SPACs, but I kept reading about the advantages of buying the warrants. I don't put money into any sketchy EV companies that don't even have a product LOL, but real companies that are actually profitable can be great with a relatively small investment.

I screwed up at first when I started buying some SPACs. Utz Snacks is a local company to me, so I knew I wanted to get into their shares as soon as I saw they were going public. It has been good to me, but it would have been even better if I would have bought warrants instead of the stock initially. At first, I didn't realize that the stock and the warrants were two different things.

I initially wrongly thought that buying the stock would also entitle me to a warrant that would allow me to buy future shares at $11.50 a share. I would have had to buy the warrants for that. I only made that mistake once. LOL That is one of the huge advantages of holding warrants. -- the right to buy future shares at $11.50 each if so desired-- no matter what the share is actually trading at on the open market.