View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I think the problem with some of your choices is that multiple cards you list are known only to true hobby enthusiasts. Whereas Iconic would reach people with less knowledge. None of my friends would know who Eddie Plank or Nap Lajoie are. But some of my friends would recognize the Goudey Ruth.
If that is your definition, then none of the cards on his list after the top 3 belong. People without knowledge of the hobby have no clue what those cards are. They know Tom Brady or LeBron James but would never recognize their RCs. Same for cards like the Bird-Magic or the Leaf Robinson. His list is just a bunch of random cards.

Iconic is something that stands the test of time. Plank and Lajoie were iconic to the hobby founders in the 1930s. They were iconic to collectors in the 70s and 80s as 2 of the 3 most valuable cards in the hobby. If newer collectors don't bother to educate themselves about all segments of the hobby and its history, that is their problem, not the Hobby's. If you are making a top 10 list, all segments should be represented.

I bet if you showed people pictures of 4 or 5 Ruth cards and asked them which was the Goudey, most would have no clue. When a Goudey Ruth sells, it gets no publicity. The last time the BN Ruth sold, it set the record for the most expensive sale of a sports card. If that isn't iconic, then I don't know what is.