View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
Agreed.
Maybe the bidders reviewed in-person and figured out the teams. perhaps even players, though that would be less likely.
Anything shy of at least a team ID, and 10k is a very very strong price to pay for a relatively generic, unsigned, piece - even though such an early baseball painting is rare.
maybe a folk art dealer was bidding strongly, seems to qualify as folk art, given primitive construction, period, and lack of fancy authorship.
Will forever be curious as to what that building is, seems like a Washington DC location along a river, Eastern feel, flag, super-large white building.
I would be very impressed if the bidders were able to identify anything about the teams by reviewing it in person although I'm guessing they would be able to confirm that it is an older piece of art (it looks old based on the frame, cracking throughout painting, lack of fluorescence under black light but not sure how they would be able to definitively date it to late 19th century). As for the location, there are many state buildings which start to look the same. I did inquire about the painting a few weeks back and it came from someone in Pennsylvania.

Did you guys see this similar painting which sold last month? The design is VERY similar and if this is not the same artist, it would appear that it's at least inspired by the same artist.

Regardless, it's a beautiful piece of art and I'm sure whoever won it will be very pleased!