View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Origin of 1967(?) Corn King Ron Santo Photo Card

I don't know if this photo card has ever been catalogued or if anyone who doesn't collect vintage Cubs or Ron Santo items is even aware of it, but I talked to an eBay seller that just sold one who told me an interesting story about it. He told me that approximately fifty years ago (1967?) as a little leaguer in the Chicago area he went to a Ron Santo public signing at a Jewel grocery store. Apparently these were handed out to kids and fans as they waited in line. He told me that Santo was his idol at the time but he was shocked to see Santo smoking a cigarette as he signed it. That would be unthinkable now but was acceptable at the time. I have only seen three or four of these over the years on eBay, and all of them were signed by Santo. As an eleven or twelve year old little leaguer in New Jersey in 1978 or 1979, I remember going to a similar signing of Chris Chambliss where they handed out a black and white photo for him to sign. Unfortunately that is long gone. I stupidly forgot to put in a snipe on the Corn King Santo photo, but I do have one that I found on eBay years ago. It is about 5 x 7, glossy, blank backed, and printed on thick paper similar to a 60's advisory photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corn King Santo.jpg (79.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 06-14-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Grammar